Roy W. Dean Grant Winning Film Part of Select Group of 6 Chosen
All of us at From the Heart Productions are proud to have our Roy W. Dean Grant Winners, Malina Fagan and Lynn Pelletier, chosen along with their film The Coverup for the inaugural Redford Center Grant.
“We truly want to thank you both so much for all your feedback, encouragement and support.” Malina emailed From the Heart Production president Carole Dean and Carole Joyce upon receiving the Redford Center Grant.
“We’ve applied to many grants this past year and yours is the only one that provided feedback, which is what has helped us grow.”
282 filmmakers applied to the grant from over 28 countries. 6 indie documentaries were selected along with the 7 filmmakers who made them.
The grant was created to provide support for six feature-length film projects in early development that are focused on driving awareness, education and tangible action on a variety of environmental topics.
“The Coverup” reveals that the average person is exposed to about 126 chemicals a day, just from their cosmetics and personal care products (soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, makeup, etc.). Scientists have linked some of the chemicals to serious health effects including cancer, infertility, and birth defects. The documentary seeks to empower consumers and companies alike and challenge our government to protect the public.
What’s Next for Filmmakers
Malina and Lynn will be going to Utah this November to attend a story summit at the Sundance Resort. They will also receive a $15,000 development grant to produce a written film treatment and short proof-of-concept film over a 3-month time frame, mentorship from issue experts and industry leaders to refine their project narratives and impact goals, a GoPro Hero 4 Black Camera, film distribution as part of Redford Center Grants’ series of shorts and consideration for co-production with The Redford Center.
They will also be making full use of all the donations in the Roy W. Dean Spring Grant which includes:
- Media Distributors and G-technology for the hard drives.
- Artbeats royalty -free stock footage for unlimited use.
- Promedia’s discount on color, editing and sound and all production services including lighting truck.
- Free budgeting consultation with Norman Berns.
- ANTP Transcriptions services.
- Glue Edit for online color correction.
- BZ Rights and Permissions, Inc. for copyrighted materials.
- $1600 in sound mix session from Silver Sound.
- Voice over services from Claire Papin.
- Web Site by Silke Mayer.
- Movie Magic budgeting from Entertainment Partners.