Watch our 30 Year Anniversary Video!
Grant Application GuidelinesThe Roy W. Dean Grant is available for short films, low budget independent features, documentaries, and web series. Budgets for the projects must be under $500,000. Our goal is to create films that are “unique and make a contribution to society.” “The Roy W. Dean Grant gave me the push I needed to continue on my journey and complete my film. It is an invaluable resource and award for any filmmaker faced with the enormous financial burden of finishing a feature length film. I couldn’t be more appreciative of the continuous support of Carole Dean and the various partners and artists who contribute to the RWD grant. ” 2010 Roy W. Dean Grant Winner Cathryne Czubek Director – “A Girl and a Gun”
Guidelines for the Grant Application MaterialsProject Proposal and Synopsis Submit a written proposal. If you need help writing your proposal, you can listen to this description from Carole Dean’s podcast from The Art of Film Funding on Blogtalk Radio. For documentaries, please send us 2 to 6 pages on your proposal. Send additional pages for your budget and your crew. Please include a full budget with post-production. Let us know how much you have raised and what is left to raise. We want to know how you intend to raise the balance of the funds. List things like crowdfunding, grants, parties, etc. For short films and features, we want a 1-2 page synopsis (or outline) of the film and the first 10 pages of your script. Please include a full budget with post-production. Let us know how much you have raised and what is left to raise. We want to know how you intend to raise the balance of the funds. List things like crowdfunding, grants, parties, etc. Please be sure to tell us the following:
- Style, format and approach to the material, including any distinct visual or technical elements.
- What are your plans for distribution?
- Are you the producer, director, what?
- How is this project unique and how does this project benefit society?
- What is your relationship to the material?
- List name and position of proposed key production personnel (producer, director, cinematographer, editor, etc.) List their relevant experience or credits.
Steps to Completing Application
- Fill out the Application Form.
- Before submitting, print or save a copy of the filled out application for your records.
On the form, there’s a place to add a URL for your Sample Work (video trailer or prior work –– Vimeo, YouTube, etc.). We need to see what you have made and what your vision is for your proposed or current film..