Roy W. Dean Grant Application
Please read application guidelines and instructions carefully before completing application.
All applications must be submitted by the grant deadline for which you are applying.
(It is alright for your Sample Work to arrive after the deadline if you are mailing it in).
- SPRING Grant Deadline – April 30
- SUMMER Grant Deadline – June 30
- FALL Grant Deadline – September 30
Guidelines for Grant Application MATERIALS
There a several items that you’ll need to submit (upload) on your application:
- Cover Letter
- Proposal (for documentaries) or Synopsis (for shorts or features)
- Marketing/Distribution/Social Media Plan
- Crew Information
- Budget (or Estimate)
- Sample Work: Provide a URL to a video of your trailer or prior work (Vimeo, YouTube, etc.), or mail us a COPY of your sample work.
Project Proposal and Synopsis Guidelines
Submit a written proposal. If you need help writing your proposal, you can listen to this description from Carole Dean’s podcast from The Art of Film Funding on Blogtalk Radio.
For documentaries, please send us 2 to 6 pages on your proposal. You can also send additional pages for your budget and your crew. If you do not have a budget, please include an estimate.
For short films and features, we want a one page synopsis (or outline) of the film and the first 10 pages of your script. Please include a budget. If you do not have a budget, please include an estimate
Please be sure to tell us the following:
- Style, format and approach to the material, including any distinct visual or technical elements.
- What are your plans for distribution?
- Are you the producer, director, what?
- How is this project unique and how does this project benefit society?
- What is your relationship to the material?
- List name and position of proposed key production personnel (producer, director, cinematographer, editor, etc.) List their relevant experience or credits.
Sample Work(s) Guidelines
All applications must be accompanied by a sample of applicant’s previously completed work, preferably via URL to an online video (Vimeo, YouTube, etc), but you may also mail a DVD or flash drive. We need to see what you have made and what your vision is for your proposed or current film. If you do not have a prior work, submit one from anyone on your crew. If you need to mail it instead of providing a URL on the application, please do not send original DVD, send us a copy because we do not return DVDs or flash drives.
Steps to Completing Application
- Fill out the Application (select grant below).
- Before submitting your completed application, print or save a copy for your records.
Upload your files (Proposal, Distribution Plan, Crew Info, and Budget) on your application, and be sure to name them according to the naming convention provided.
Provide a URL to your Sample Work. If you do not provide a URL on the form, you may mail a copy of your Sample Work on DVD or Flash Drive to:
From The Heart Productions
1455 Mandalay Beach Rd.
Oxnard, CA 93035
- Your application must be submitted by its official grant deadline date (see below).
- From the Heart Productions requests a Producer credit and a rolling Thank You credit to all of the donors on the grant. This application, if chosen as a winner, may be published or used to educate other filmmakers by FTHP.
If you have any questions regarding the application, you may contact Shirley at:
Please select the grant for which you are applying: